If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right.
Switch to Accessible Site
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Common Dental Terms
- Calculus - Hard plaque deposited on the crown of teeth.
- Crown - Visible part of tooth; above the gum line.
- Gingiva - Soft tissue that supports the crown of the tooth and adjacent tissues.
- Gingivitis - Inflammation of the gums.
- Halitosis - Bad breath.
- Lingual - Pertaining to the tongue.
- Mandible - Lower jaw.
- OraVet - Tooth sealant to prevent bacteria from re-adhering to the teeth.
- Periodontal - Pertaining to the root of the tooth.
- Pockets - Areas where the gum loses it's attachment to the tooth.
- Tartar - Produced by bacteria that live on the teeth. Causes gingivitis, leading to recession of the gums, exposure of the tooth rots, and eventually loss of the tooth.